Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My First Foster Part 2


So, I decided that I'm going to go ahead and post the conclusion of the story:

Steve, formerly Zeus, was pulled from the shelter by D-2gsds, a newbie foster parent. He was very ill with a respiratory infection and active lyme disease when he was pulled. He had been integrating into the two dog household for about a week when I received and inquiry on him.

The story continues:. Steve was on his way to recovery, he was eating and had put on a few pounds ... its amazing what being out of a shelter environment, and a decent diet can quickly do for a guy... when I received an adoption inquiry. A family with several children, not too young, not too old, and was interested in more information. They had a home near a metropolitan area, but had a weekend/summer place in the country with lots of room for a dog to run.

I promptly emailed them back that Steve was a wonderful dog, but that he had several more weeks to go in foster care before he would be available for adoption.
OH NO!! I knew this day would come, but not so quickly. Now I faced a huge dilemma, for years, I wanted to foster, I finally got my chance. I had lucked out with an incredibly easy first foster dog. He got along so very well with my two GSD's Harley, my female, and MacGyver, my male problem child. In the short time he had been with us, I had noticed improvements in MacGyver's behavior; perhaps he was concerned he was being replaced by a new younger model; though more likely it was because he had someone to run off his excessive energy with, and someone who also enjoyed barking at bugs and peeing on all things green.

I knew going in that the point of fostering was to be a temporary home for orphan dogs. But, how could I part with Steve? He was the best dog ever; or at least one of the best 3 dogs ever, Harley and MacGyver not withstanding. Well, I told myself, it doesn't matter as GSR-SP requires that dogs remain in a foster home for at least 30 days before placement into a permanent home. Surely they will forget about Steve, and I won't have to make a decision to let him go, right? Wrong!!

Over the 2nd and 3rd weeks, Steve was here, I had at least 2 more inquires about him. The days sped by so quickly, It was all such a blur,
other than the information that GSR-SP posted from the original kennel listing, I honestly don't remember doing a web post for him, and I couldn't understand how all these people knew about Steve and what a great dog he was.

I imagine it was due to our "handholding network". These volunteers identify available dogs in shelters as well as in foster homes and notify
potential adopters who have contacted GSR-SP looking for GSD's with specific requests such as dogs in a certain age range or color. Now as his foster days were winding down, and Steve was definitely going to get a home, what should I do? Give him up, or keep him?

What an agonizing decision! I laid awake at night going over what to do. On the plus side, Steve got along so well with everyone, on the minus side, I'm a single parent of 2 dog children. If I bring another dog child into the mix will I be able to continue to foster, something I had wanted to do for years? There are so many dogs that need homes, was I being irresponsible to adopt my foster, especially the first one, when there were other available adoptive homes out there ready for him.

Since I have experience with problem dogs, maybe I should let Steve go because he was taking up a foster space that could be used to rehab a dog with issues that might not otherwise get adopted.

There was also my uncle to be considered; he had broken his foot early in the year and hadn't been to see me for several months. Although it's my house, he stops in to let the kids out for a pee on the rare occasions that I need to do something after work and can't come right home. I'm pretty sure he would pitch a raving hissy fit if he came by and found I had another dog. I sort of conveniently forgot to mention that I was going to start foster.....So many things to consider.
What to do, what to do? I'm going to keep you in suspense a little bit longer....

When I first started volunteering with GSR-SP, I bet it's been 7 years ago now, I talked with one of the volunteers, Ranganath and asked him how he was able to give up his fosters. What he said stuck with me to this day, and I think it's a good guiding principle: Each one you adopt out, makes room to save another.

As a newbie foster parent, let me tell you what I've learned. I've learned that 3 dogs isn't generally much more work than 2. That even with a king size bed, 3 dogs will work together to ensure you only get the very edge, oh they'll move to accommodate each other, but I think it must be that herding instinct that kicks in to herd you off the bed. With organization, you can give morning pills to 2 dogs and treats to a third and still make it out the door, mostly dressed, in time to meet your carpool. 3 barking dogs isn't much noiser than 2, but it's good to live in a neighborhood with several multiple dog families so the racket can't necessarily be pinned on you. As long as someone gets to ride shotgun, Your car does have enough windows to allow everyone to stick their heads out. It is hard to say no to one dog that wants to be on the furniture when everyone else is allowed up. Unless there is blood, most dog arguments will work themselves out, and the pack will align
on its own, so don't interfere, but be there just in case. It's very important to make sure that you maintain your position as the alpha. MOST IMPORTANTLY, Foster dogs are really really hard to give up.

I, as happens with many new foster parents, was unable to give up my first foster. I adopted Steve. After discussion and input from other GSR volunteers, the most frequent advice I heard was you have to do what is best for you and your own dogs. Ultimately, although there were several great families that probably would have been wonderful homes for Steve, he was such a good fit here that I couldn 't let him go. I can't imagine being without him. He is such a great dog, he just vibrates with joy.

But what about more fostering? After a couple of months, and my uncle warming to the idea, I decided to try again. GSR-SP was notified of an older dog in danger of euthanasia. I decided to try the foster thing again. #4. Bob is a piece of work! Check out his profile on our website.

Given that Bob is an older dog, he'll probably be here for a while.
One of the unwritten rules of fostering, besides foster families frequently adopt their fosters, seems to be that ultimately you end up with a dog that stays. I'm ok with that. I sometimes think that maybe I should have let Steve go. But as he's laying here in bed keeping my feet warm as I type this, I know it was the right decision for us. 4 is my limit; so I might not be able to have a new foster for a while. And I know that they won't all be as easy as Steve. However, I pledge to hold at least one spot for a foster - long term or short term. And I'll remember what Ranganth said: EACH ONE YOU ADOPT OUT MAKES ROOM TO SAVE ANOTHER. It's important. We'll definitely do it again.

d-2gsds, Harley, MacGyver, Steve and Bob the Foster


so that's the start of the story.... I have some pictures that i'll be posting soon. ( oh, and yes that's why the name is 2 German Shepherds but the photos are of 3 German Shepherds!)

Bob is something to behold. We call him Bob the Faker! His full name is Robert Watson XXX - till he gets adopted and a new last name. I 'd like to add some more things to that list of stuff of I've learned... we'll get to that... Anyway, it's late, I have to get up early, and the group is outside barking at invisible pink elephants in tutus.

Check back soon for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment