Monday, March 9, 2009

My First Foster / GSR-SP



So, I decided that I would tell you a little bit about the rescue that I work with -- and then I decided that the best thing to do would be let you see for yourself: gsr-sp.com

I wrote a two part article for gsr-sp's newsletter. The first part is posted next: The second part will be coming out in the next newsletter. After it's published there, I'll post it here:

A newbie's foray into fostering....

I had been considering fostering for a long time. Finally this summer I purchased my own home and I felt the time was right. Shortly after that, GSR-SP received notice from a York County shelter that they were full and had several shepherds that seemed to be good candidates for foster care. Could GSR-SP help? I made the 2 hour drive with another volunteer Tonda and Macgyver, my seven year old male. We met Zeus who was among the mellowest dogs I have ever met. He had previously been with an elderly couple. The wife had been taking care of the husband, but then she became ill and was no longer able to care for herself, her husband and the dog.
Zeus was about 15 lbs underweight, had a bunch of bald spots from flea allergies on his back and rear, was being treated for worms and had a bad cold. Despite all his problems, he was very friendly, played a bit of ball, walked great on a leash. He and Macgyver got along great - no apparent problems there. He seemed like he would be an easy foster for a newbie. While we were waiting to process his paperwork, (the York Shelter is a very busy place) Zeus let kids pet him and paid no mind to the multiple crates of meowing kitties that were sitting around the desk. All the time we stood there I kept hearing Steve Steve Steve in my head.
When we finally got checked out several volunteers said goodbye to him on the way out. He had made quite the impression during his short stay. Steve went right out to my Explorer and got right into the crate.
Steve was so sick when we got home. It was almost like he was projecting health until he could get out of the shelter. He was so stuffed up there were bubbles coming out of his nose with every breath.

Everyone said to keep him on a leash and walk him around the yard with the other dogs -- gradually working up to letting him off the leash over the course of a couple of days or weeks and not leave the pack unsupervised. Within a couple of hours everyone was getting along really well so I took a chance and left him off leash that first night. Everyone got along swell but I suspect Steve was so sick that he just didn't have it in him to cause any problems.

I was so concerned about him, I hardly slept the first night. He had such a full sounding chest everytime he took a breath. I was afraid he was not going to make make it through the night or that I would need to give him mouth to mouth. As a first time foster, I was sure I was going to do something wrong -- I even googled bloat on the internet because I was sure that even though he hardly ate anything, I knew he was going to get that. I wondered how I was going to explain how this dog had died during the night to the rest of the rescue...

Next up for Steve was a trip to the vet, where Steve tested positive for lyme disease. On the way home, we stopped for some cough syrup to go with the antibiotics he was supposed to take for his lyme disease. Would he prefer cherry or grape? Despite being so sick, Steve was not to be fooled into taking any medicine He was totally uninterested in the cough sryup, though I can't say as I blame him as that cherry stuff is pretty yucky! He also got wise pretty quickly to pills in lunchmeat, peanut butter bread, yogurt, pumpkin and a ton of other variations -- he wouldn't even eat them in meatballs -- he was one smart cookie!

We also some quality time getting a bath; and sitting in a steam bathroom to break up the congestion. Steve was totally on board with all this -- I think he was just too sick to care..

Steve started to feel better and his lover personality came out --he thinks he is a lap dog. He likes to sleep on the bed with his head on a pillow. He and Macgyver got along great. Harley my 12 y/o female GSD, ignored them both, she is too regal to lower herself to boy roughhousing, but the guys ran each other ragged. They romped around the yard sounding like a herd of buffalo! The chewed on each other, stole each others toys, and barked at the wind.

Steve was here for about a week of the required 30 days and fitting in swimmingly when it happened...someone emailed interested in adopting Steve. YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment